This board has been archived, no new registrations are allowed. Please come join us on our discord!

Questions before buying

General Discussion about Haasbot.
Serpens66

Questions before buying

Postby Serpens66 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi :)

Before I buy a license, I have some questions, which were not answered by FAQ or wiki (at least I did not find the answers).

I already wrote them in german here:
viewtopic.php?p=5205#p5205

Before translating all of them, I first would like to get an answer of the most important question:
How/where is the bot running? It sounds, like the bot is installed and ran at my own windows pc?
Does it mean, that if my pc is shut down, the bot won't run?? That does not make any sense to me, since a bot should run 24/7.
If the bot is meant to run on a server, then I don't get why Linux is not supported? Servers have mostly linux software and not windows.

Trade

Re: Questions before buying

Postby Trade » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi,

You run the server component on your own machine.

You'll want at least a 4 Core/4 Thread CPU, preferrably 4 Core/8 Thread.

I'm guessing as with most applications the focus is on Windows since it has the larger marketshare. There are more users familar and comfortable with Windows. I think the other reason is just a matter of how much time it takes to develop 2 versions of the software than 1.

Serpens66

Postby Serpens66 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:55 pm

Thank you very much for the response :)

So it is true, that while my computer is shut down, the bot can't run? Can't believe this, cause every strategy is lost, when it does not run 24/7.

How do the marjority of Haasbot users handles this? As far as I know most servers and also raspberry PI, where you could run a bot, are mostly in linux. I think new windows also runs on those, but I guess not at raspberry pi 1.

So where do the majority of haasbot users run the bot?

Trade

Postby Trade » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:26 am

Hey,

Yes. You need to run the Bot Server/Service all of the time.
This can give you more control and keeps your Trading Strategies Private, which is nice.

I think they plan to offer a Cloud Service in the Future.

I've heard of Raspberry Pi as like an Android Device before... I've seen them for Android TV solutions.
You'll want something with more CPU power. A processor like a Xeon or an Atom with at least 4 Cores.
It could be a Desktop you leave turned on (needs to stay live to make Trades and monitor the Market) or a Dedicated Server at a Datacenter (higher speeds & fault tolerance, power, redudancy, etc.)

A good price for a Dedicated Server would be around $100/month.
Try this link for some details. Page 3, starting at the Tuesday Dec 20th reply:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1277&start=20

EclecticDilettante

Postby EclecticDilettante » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:19 am

Trade wrote:Hey,

Yes. You need to run the Bot Server/Service all of the time.
This can give you more control and keeps your Trading Strategies Private, which is nice.

I think they plan to offer a Cloud Service in the Future.

I've heard of Raspberry Pi as like an Android Device before... I've seen them for Android TV solutions.
You'll want something with more CPU power. A processor like a Xeon or an Atom with at least 4 Cores.
It could be a Desktop you leave turned on (needs to stay live to make Trades and monitor the Market) or a Dedicated Server at a Datacenter (higher speeds & fault tolerance, power, redudancy, etc.)

A good price for a Dedicated Server would be around $100/month.
Try this link for some details. Page 3, starting at the Tuesday Dec 20th reply:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1277&start=20

Isn't Atom designed for tablets?

Trade

Postby Trade » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:13 am

Hi, there may be others, but not the Atom I'm referring to.
It seems to be a lower cost CPU focused on lower end Web Hosting and Network attached storage.

I'm not as familiar with Tablet CPU's.

Here are some specs and comparison of the Intel Atom C2750 vs Xeon 1240v3:

CPU Specs:
https://ark.intel.com/products/77987/In ... e-2_40-GHz

Closest comparison I can find:
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E3-1 ... Atom-C2750
*Note the processor frequency differences, higher for Xeon.

Review:
https://www.servethehome.com/intel-atom ... ast-power/

P.S. I remember the AMD Opterons had some performance issues. Can't confirm as I haven't tried them.
Last edited by Trade on Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stephan
Administrator

Postby stephan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:04 pm

A Intel Atom is designed for low power goals, its not directly related to tablets. In fact a Atom is just a low-energy version of a x86 CPU core. The difference between a Xeon and Atom is how they are tested. A Xeon is tested very heavily because it may not allow signal leaking, but a Atom is allowed to leak. Its a technical story, but Intel tests the Xeon first at very high standards, if this fails then it becomes a Core i7, i5 or even a Core i3.

When we look to the haasbot then we can see it depends a lot on having enough threads/cores. The calculations itself are not heavy, but the threaded load is. This is because all the prices are incoming at the same time and candles needs to be created also at the same time, within the same millisecond if possible. So this part is the real heavy part for the CPU to handle.

This is a test i still have to do, but in theory a ARM based CPU which you can find in your mobile phone should be able to handle the Haasbot as well. Again its all about the threads/cores here and not the speed. But the reason why i have not tried this yet is because i do not believe the architecture of ARM will be able to handle it. Its fundamentally different and executes different on such a CPU. This is also a very technical story why and how.

Just as a note... do not assume that a quick dual-core will deliver equal performance compared to a quad-core. A quad-core just can do more work in a shorter time and at the dual-core you get a pile of work which the CPU needs to progress. It does not matter if the CPU is quick because switching between the tasks it takes up the most time.
Join the telegram group too: https://t.me/haasonlineofficial

prachijain

Postby prachijain » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:59 am

stephan wrote:A Intel Atom is designed for low power goals, its not directly related to tablets. In fact a Atom is just a low-energy version of a x86 CPU core. The difference between a Xeon and Atom is how they are tested. A Xeon is tested very heavily because it may not allow signal leaking, but a Atom is allowed to leak. Its a technical story, but Intel tests the Xeon first at very high standards, if this fails then it becomes a Core i7, i5 or even a Core i3.

When we look to the haasbot then we can see it depends a lot on having enough threads/cores. The calculations itself are not heavy, but the threaded load is. This is because all the prices are incoming at the same time and candles needs to be created also at the same time, within the same millisecond if possible. So this part is the real heavy part for the CPU to handle.

This is a test i still have to do, but in theory a ARM based CPU which you can find in your mobile phone should be able to handle the Haasbot as well. Again its all about the threads/cores here and not the speed. But the reason why i have not tried this yet is because i do not believe the architecture of ARM will be able to handle it. Its fundamentally different and executes different on such a CPU. This is also a very technical story why and how.

Just as a note... do not assume that a quick dual-core will deliver equal performance compared to a quad-core. A quad-core just can do more work in a shorter time and at the dual-core you get a pile of work which the CPU needs to progress. It does not matter if the CPU is quick because switching between the tasks it takes up the most time.

Thanks for sharing such valuable information...Really useful.

Return to “General Discussion”